Good morning! How’s your Tuesday going? I am marking the days until I go back to work (ek, 2 weeks!). I’m an SLP in an elementary school and have really been enjoying my summer off!
Last week hubby and I picked up some huge, plump zucchini at the farmer’s market. Although I am a fan of zucchini chips and we just ordered a dehydrator off of Amazon, I was looking for something else to make with my veggie. I took to pinterest and found a recipe that looked easy to modify.
Find the original recipe from everydayfoodstorage.net here.
A baking element went kaput in our oven last week, so luckily my dad lives close by and let me use his oven. We are just getting our oven back today, a whole week later! I know, how did I survive without baking? It was hard, let me tell you.
This bread turned out so well! I cooked it in my dad’s oven, but didn’t leave him any because I wasn’t sure how it would taste. I replaced the whole wheat flour in the original recipe with oat flour (I grind my own). I am not completely gluten free, I just try to limit the amount of gluten I consume. My oats are not certified GF, but make sure yours are if you have to eat GF. I also replaced the egg with a chia egg (I TB chia seeds + 3 TB water). Was this necessary? No, not at all, but I love trying something new/different in recipes. This was my first attempt at baking with a chia “egg.” I was pleasantly surprised with the result! The bread is very moist from the zucchini and tastes sweet, but not too sweet. I am definitely going to make these into mini muffins ASAP. I’m slightly in love with mini muffins. They’re so small and cute!
GF Brown Sugar Zucchini Bread
- 1/4 c. butter at room temperature
- 1/4 c. applesauce
- 3/4 c. light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c. oat flour (grind about 1 3/4 c. of oats)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- chia egg (I T chia seeds + 3 T water, let sit for 15 minutes to thicken)
- 1 1/2 c. shredded zucchini
- 1/2 c. walnuts for topping
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 8x4x2 inch bread pan with non-stick spray.
- With electric mixer, mix together butter, applesauce, and sugar. Beat until smooth. In another bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, put aside. Add chia egg and shredded zucchini to wet mixture until mixed. Add the flour mixture to wet mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter into bread pan and top with walnuts. Bake 55 to 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit about 10 minutes to cool.
- Enjoy! You can add butter or jam to slices, or eat by itself.
I’m always a fan of recipes where I have all the ingredients on hand. This bread was very easy to throw together and my hubby gave it a thumbs up! He had no idea there wasn’t AP flour or an egg in the bread.
What have you been baking lately? Do you always stick to the recipe exactly or do you like to make recipes your own?